Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Everything you could ever need

I was listening to a sermon from my bishop from 2008 (Before I even joined my church) and it was entitled Relationship. That sermon was AMAZING. All of the sermons are amazing but you know what I mean. He was talking about the importance of having a relationship with God because when all others fail, God will always be there.

It kind of brought me back to the way I used to be. I was a very emotionally driven teenager up until like twenty years old. I laugh now at the thought of it but I was a drama queen. I was one of those teenagers that was moody, impatient and all over the place lol But thank God for growth and maturity because I'm no longer moved by emotions.One thing that my bishop said was you have to die to your feelings. In 1 Corinthians 15 Paul said, "I die daily." Dying daily means to die to your fleshly tendencies and desires. Emotions will lead you all over the place.

What I loved most about that sermon was understanding the importance of leaning on God. Bishop was talking about seeking counsel. "I need help. I need advice. I need direction." And no one being able to provide it. I've been there and I can say that that provoked so much growth for me, physically and spiritually. At that moment when family didn't have the answers, friends didn't have the answers, church members, etc., when I thought no one had the answer, God had the answer! And that's exactly where He wanted me, leaning and depending on Him.

People are human so that means they will let you down at some point or another. And if your emotions rule over you, then you will be overwhelmed and easily offended. You ever hear someone say, "I'm offended?" Well offense is a CHOICE. Being angry, upset or resentful are all emotions that can easily peak their heads if others don't rise to expectations or if they say things or do things that let you down. But those very situations are being controlled by God to help you grow up. Not to be mean but you have to suck it up and keep moving. Who told you life was easy? It's not but it's possible.

When you've found yourself running around with what seems like no direction, that is an indicator that God is calling you to Him. I think God has a way of silencing those who you rely on more than Him. People aren't suppose to have all the answers. That's why a solid relationship with God is important. It puts you in a position to seek counsel from the truest Counselor.

I've grown to love and respect my Bishop more and more every time I hear him. He's tough. He gives a Word on a weekly basis that will cut you but force you to change. I've compared him to a drill sergeant lol He's all about business and that's why I'm so grateful to be at my church. He's training us for battle. We can't be weak and emotionally driven if we're going to fight against darkness. God has given him a mighty mighty vision. We're suppose to reach the world right? You have to be strong and courageous but you also have to depend on God more than anyone.

If I became offended every time someone said something I didn't like, didn't come through, didn't rise to expectations, etc., I would be a very emotionally unstable person lol But because of my faith and trust in the One who has promised to always be there and because of those moments when it seemed like no one could come though, I have peace even in those moments that used to offend me.

If I could write down all the times that my emotions tried to get in the way of God's voice and almost caused me to move out of His Will, I would. But it's way too many to name. Emotions can cause you to say things and make decisions that you regret. Be led by the Spirit and not by the flesh. Your flesh will get it wrong every time. 

God is the one who has created each of us. No one can tell us who we are, what's placed inside of us, and the way He desires us to use those things except God. It's so important, especially during the journey of learning who you are, to fully rely on Him. I'll be honest and say that it's incredibly HARD but you'll never grow up by desiring counsel from a person more than counsel from God. That is a difficult lesson but a vital one to learn.

I'm grateful for the journey and where God has me. I feel that the hand of God is truly on my church. I can feel it. There is so much going on and I feel very blessed that God would allow me to be a part of it. I'm filled with much gratitude. And to be honest, I almost missed out on it. But praise God for being led by the spirit and not the flesh. Things don't always make sense but the season of seclusion/solitude is when you grow. When no one seems to come through, it's a blessing in disguise! Those are the moments where God is pulling you closer.

Take possession of your own mind. Your thoughts, emotions, feelings, and flesh all want to dominate you. But faith comes from a relationship with God. When you know that all things will work for your good, (Romans 8:28) you won't be shaken even when people, situations, and misfortunes try to move you. Focus on Jesus! There's nothing like having a real relationship with Him. God is the only one guaranteed to give you all that you will ever need.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...