I was very much a conformer, meaning I did things to belong. I felt that I could FIT if I did what everyone else was doing and that included wearing heels. I LOVED high heels. They made me feel mature, classy, and lady-like but I wasn't doing it for myself; it was for everyone else. It's true that somethings different about a woman when she's wearing heels. Not only do you hear her shoes clicking your way but your attention automatically gravitates to where she is, usually to scope out those FAB shoes that she's wearing.
But in my heel wearing years, I liked the attention in a bad way. I wanted to keep up and I refused to let anyone show me up. It was a pride thing believe it or not. And to be honest, I didn't feel good about myself unless I was wearing heels. I liked walking through the mall with pumps, although my feet were screaming for some slippers. But naw, everyone else had on heels so I had to endure!
So where is this going? I gave up high heels for a while because they reminded me of a season in my life where I wanted to be IN. So I had to say BYE to the beloved heels, pumps and stilettos. May sound extreme but I'm reminded of a woman who shaved her head because her hair was a reminder of years she needed to let go of. She wanted to start over. I started to realize that if I didn't love myself in flats, then I didn't completely love myself. It's not about what you wear but how you feel. So I gave them away. I did what I needed to do for myself so I wouldn't be a people pleaser forever! But good news,
THEY'RE BACK!
These are my newest addition, simple black suede pumps. I let her siblings go for a reason BUT only for a season. Now that I'm out of that "trying to belong" phase, I can wear them for myself! Not for attention, not for trend or acceptance but for ME! People always give their opinions. "You should do this. You should do that" blah blah blah lol But I challenge you to hold off on opinions at times. You'd be surprised why I don't do certain things the same way or the way people expect me to. You never know why people CHOOSE the actions that they choose. This is why I had to give them up! They were a reminder of the lack of acceptance of myself and trying to BELONG but so many people think it's the opposite. Mind yo business! lol
I would occassionally visit the Jessica Simpson shoe collection in department stores. Or visit Baker's and Aldo admiring from afar but that's as close as I'd get. I'd rarely even talk about them. But I'm excited to recollect. And start a new season of being myself and enjoying who I am and that includes my love of BAD shoes! Not for ANYONE else, but for me! Wear those heels ladies..And wear them proudly! But make sure they don't define you!
MIDG!!! Thank GOD you wear the same size I do!!!
ReplyDeletehahaha I know right! Let's hope I still know how to walk in these things lol
ReplyDeleteGreat story Chelsea thanks for sharing and the heels are hot
ReplyDeletethanks Ce!
ReplyDelete