The older I get, the more I begin to understand "my meekness." I think that's one thing Candice and I have in common. I looked up the word "meek" and found this definition; the feeling of patient, submissive humbleness.
I found this on a website.
"Meekness is calm confidence, settled assurance, and rest of the soul. It is the tranquil stillness of a heart that is at rest in Christ. It is the place of peace. Meekness springs from a heart of humility, radiating the fragrance of Christ." (reviveourhearts.com)
Meekness is often seen as weakness when I personally believe it's the opposite. I believe my quiet spirit is one of God's greatest gifts to me. I haven't always believed that though. There was a time where I felt the desire to be accepted. I thought I was strange because it seemed like everyone else was loud, attention seeking and "out there." But when I began to find my identity in Christ and realize that meekness was actually a characteristic of Christ, I began to embrace it. It was through embracing it that I lost the desire to be the center of attention. I used to TRY to be loud and extra talkative because I thought I had something to prove. But I've become most grateful for that quality.
I absolutely love T.D Jakes. I listen to his sermons almost everyday. One of the things about him that encouraged me the most is the sermon where he said he was quiet by nature. This is a man who speaks in front of thousands and thousands of people every week. You would assume he was just as loud and talkative in regular conversations as he is preaching a sermon. But he says naturally he's quiet.
But when I think about his position, meekness is a requirement to keep him where he is and to ultimately allow him to go higher. Meekness includes humility and being able to listen as well as peace and patience. If T.D Jakes were to get offended about everything that didn't go his way or every opinion he didn't like, he wouldn't be able to do his assignment effectively. If he didn't have control over his emotions, every negative thing someone would say about him would ruin his day and taint his heart which would of course effect his ministry. Not only that, but if he talked as much as he does when he preaches a sermon, I'm sure that wouldn't give him much time to hear from God lol (Because that man can talk when he ministers haha)
But I say all that to say that quietness is strength. Controlling your emotions is strength. Being slow to speak is strength. Having patience is strength. Peace is strength. Although the world may try to tell you that meekness is weakness, the Bible says in Matthew 5:5, "
"Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth."
Embrace who you are and realize you have nothing to prove to people. We all are who we are for a reason. When you look at the characteristics of your own unique spirit, you'll see another way God chose to set you apart so that He could get glory. Thanking God for my quiet spirit and every ounce of my uniqueness...
and for yours.
Wow, this speaks volumes to me!! I also have a quiet spirit. God just gave me the revelation and it applies to you and any of your readers who have a MARVELOUS MEEK spirit here it goes well its scripture but I heard Him speak it so clearly: In quietness and confidence is where your strength lies!!!!!! Your post really confirmed this for me and gave me an in depth view of My Uniqueness and Meekness!! Thank you Chels.C (and Candice) for always speaking your heart because it does and is helping ppl!! God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteSo glad it encouraged you! I definitely believe quiet spirits have a hidden power that God will expose when He desires to get glory. I've heard it called "submissive power." Gotta love it lol Thanks for reading!
Delete