Ok so this healthy journey is continuing. I went grocery shopping today to get a few items that I needed. (Oatmeal, chicken breast, veggies etc.) I found a recipe online for a low calorie Pulled Chicken BBQ Sandwich which is pretty much the same as pork BBQ but just with chicken.
Chicken is a healthier alternative to pork. And I LOVE BBQ sauce like nothing else! Anyway, I was looking at BBQ sauces and wanted to make sure I try my best to pick a healthier choice. While looking at the ingredients, I noticed something I've never noticed before. MOST BBQ sauce has a main ingredient of High Fructose Corn Syrup. According to the USDA, HFCS consists of 24% water, and the rest sugars. It's not good for you at all.
Every sauce that I picked up either had HFCS as it's first or second ingredient. After a little more research, I realized that most sauces including ketchup and liquid marinades are mostly made of HFCS. I wanted to cry lol But I found ONE that didn't have it at all! All natural Weber Real Molasses BBQ sauce has zero high fructose corn syrup in it. Of course it does have some sugars so you would need to eat it in moderation but it's better than the originals.
That was crazy to me. When I thought of HFCS, I thought of sodas and desserts but sauces? No clue. It's surprising what you'll find when you read labels.I've heard of people who have cut out sodas and they end up losing weight. Healthier choices are a bit more expensive but I think it's worth it.

No comments:
Post a Comment