I don't remember the exact date I last got a relaxer or when my cousin officially cut my hair. The specifics aren't really that important to me. I transitioned with braids and blowouts from October/November 2010, and I had my cousin cut the remaining relaxed ends in July 2011.
I got my hair straightened this weekend, and I had NO IDEA how long it had gotten. Check out this blog post for some early pics of my natural hair journey.
As of now, the length is just bananas! I'm loving it so much!
Being natural (to me) simply means wearing my hair how it grows out my scalp. It seems silly that the whole topic is suddenly news. This is how we were created. *Not bashing those with relaxed hair* But as you can see above, my hair looks relaxed. It's healthier, and it's about the same length as my former relaxed hair.
I've never felt more confident, hair wise. Someone complimented my hair yesterday, saying that they like the versatility of my hair. And it's true. You can do so much stuff with it... the creativity with hair is endless. Me being a simple newbie, I haven't experimented with too many products or styles. I don't want to be overwhelmed, you know? I've found a couple regimens that work for me right now, and I'm just aiming to perfect those.
I was telling Chelsea that I feel like I'm in a Natural Hair sorority sometimes. Anytime I lock eyes with a fellow naturalista, we share a knowing look. We compliment each other's hairstyles and exchange information on the products we use on our hair. It's pretty sweet!
Sometimes I even find myself giving hair advice to people considering going natural. I have like three minutes to showcase my "expertise." Ha!
The Pros:
- Wake up and go! [Just spray some water, add some oil, and fluff! So easy!]
- What's an umbrella? [Unless you're wearing your hair straight, rain is your friend!]
- Unique curls/styles [Natural hair is so pretty, and there's so many options!]
- Versatility
- More confidence!
Being apart of #TeamNatural seems like a fad/ongoing trend these days. But I predict within the next couple of years, we will be able to distinguish those going natural to follow the crowd from those who truly want to embrace this significant life change.
No comments:
Post a Comment