Monday, March 12, 2012

"Yea but he has Potential"

So I looked up the definition of potential. Potential is defined as being capable of being but not yet in existence. Have you ever heard someone say, "Yea I know but he/she has a lot of potential"? This can be used in many different situations but I'm specifically referring to dating/courtship.

I was on Facebook the other day and the youth pastor at my church had a status up about pre-marriage. He gave 10 nuggets and one of them stated, "Don't fall in love with potential because too often potential can lose its motivation to grow into Purpose."



This one really stuck out to me and I started thinking about it. Honestly, being that everyone is created by God, everyone has potential. God has given everyone gifts, purpose, destinies so everyone is capable of being the man/woman that God has created them to be. Of course there are different magnitudes of that fact but just like his statement, potential shouldn't be the basis of any reason to pursue or allow someone to pursue you. "But they have potential." Of course they do!


I know all of you out there are beautiful/handsome people so I can imagine how many people show some form of interest in you BUT let's not forget the importance of being in God's will. I often say that Christian does NOT mean compatible! "You're a Christian? So am I. We're meant to be!" Although none of us are perfect, I don't believe God would send someone who has more potential than they have the motivation to grow into their purpose.


LADIES LADIES LADIES! I'm about to say this because I love yall lol God created a woman to be a helpmate for a man. You can't help a man that can't help himself. If he isn't doing anything, he doesn't need your help. He needs to be pursuing his God-given purpose and get to a place where he needs assistance in order for him to finally arrive at a season where God finally directs him to his "good thing." And vice versa, if a woman can't help herself, how can she be a helpmate for a man? Fellas, if she can't handle her OWN she can't help you with yours.


And that's the whole point of Project Wifey, to step over the line of "potential" into PURPOSE. To not only be capable of becoming who God has called you to be but to be pursuing and walking in it. 


My bishop said something last year that I will never forget. "Just because you are called doesn't mean you'll get there, it means you have the potential to." Everyone has potential but the only ones who reach it are the ones who are MOTIVATED to pursue their destinies. 


Having potential is not enough. How motivated are they? What are they pursuing, if anything? What are their plans for the future? Do they consistently challenge themselves? Are they obedient to God? Do they have the desire to be better? Do they provoke and encourage YOU to be better? 


I love the thought of a man of God who can say "Ok this is what we're going to do!" And a woman of God saying, "We can do this! I have your back!" Ladies, if he isn't going anywhere then he can't take you anywhere. He/she is not going to be perfect but they should at least have the desire to not only get better eventually but BE better daily.

Ladies PLEASE do not settle. The bible says that a man who finds a wife obtains FAVOR. That sounds like it requires some prerequisites to qualify. But you have to also qualify to be a helpmate. Let's not waste any time! This is a perfect season to allow God to mold and train you. God has so many plans for you but faith without works is dead. Handle God's desires and He will handle yours!

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...