Thursday, February 2, 2012

Can I Help You?

I'm often led to read Proverbs 31 to gain more insight into the woman I'm meant to be. I wrote this post last year pertaining to the subject.

Recently, I've been thinking more about dating and marriage. I'm at an ideal age to get married and begin a family. My mom has been hinting at it A LOT lately. Even the Bible notes that you should "enjoy the wife you married as a young man." (Proverbs 5:18 MSG)

I'm young. So, it's about that time! =)

I'm probably not ready, and I have lots to work on. But, who doesn't? If we wait for perfect conditions, we will never get anywhere. But I'm not here to talk about that. Mainly here to discuss a shift taking place within my mindset.
The husband was created to lead the household.

The wife was created to help her husband.

If the husband has no vision for his wife and household, what exactly is the wife assisting him in? Something to think about, right? It makes you look at possible significant others differently. If they're not about something RIGHT NOW (prior to marriage), a ring and a marriage certificate won't change the situation. Marriage isn't the time for a man to start asserting his authority and taking charge. It isn't the time to experiment and dabble in who you are. Self-assessment is a life-long process, but living single is a GREAT time to hear what God is telling you to do, without the duties/responsibilities of marriage muffling His voice.

My view on marriage is slowly, but surely, shifting to God's view on marriage. I was created to help, not run around doing my own thing. I'm opening my mind to the word, submission. I still feel iffy about submitting. Like what if I don't feel like it on some days? What if he's cocky, and happens to be a male chauvinist pig? What if he puts the fact that I'm a woman into some sort of box, like expects me to be a stay-at-home homemaker when I have my own dreams and goals...Unless God speaks, I just can't.

But God knows what I like more than myself, and I'm sure He wouldn't send me someone that would degrade one of His creations.

I've just been thinking more about this "help-meet" thing. When I look at potential guys now, I think to myself: Can I help you? or What can I help you with? If it's nothing, I begin to shift my focus to something else. It's gonna take more than pretty eyes, a sweet smile, and a nice build to keep me around.

As for guys, you should be thinking: Can she help me? If she is not willing to pray for you or help you in the endeavors that God has laid upon your heart, let her go. Furthermore, leave the lazy ones alone as well. Ouch, just stepped on my own toe. :-(

I might have to expand this to a Part 2 or something. So much more needs to be said. But I'll leave it at that for now.   

She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. Proverbs 31:12


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...