Friday, December 23, 2011

Walk in or out!

Candice and I had a mini conversation about people who disappear in the blink of an eye. I don't remember how that conversation came about but it seems like a lot of people that seemingly mean well, end up disappearing. I will admit, it gets frustrating and I often have to bind that thought of, "Hmm what did I do?" Or even when that conversation with God comes up,

God: Walk away from them.
Me: What? Why??? We've gotten along so well. What's the problem?
God: Be obedient. Just walk away.
Me: :-(

One thing I've come to realize is that sometimes people pop in and out to show you the condition of your heart. What's your reaction? Do you want to chase after them? Blame yourself? Or do you continue to look at them as your bro/sis in Christ and continue moving forward?

I automatically use to assume that if someone "disappears" they had ill intentions. But that's not necessarily the case. I think it helps you mature. It helps you learn to guard your heart until someone has earned your friendship. Because honestly we don't know how long someone will be in our lives. Everyone has a purpose within any friendship with a person and sometimes it's only seasonal. I've learned that it's important to learn the art of saying Good-bye. Not in a sad way, but in a mature and accepting way.

When God tells you to walk away, you have to walk away. When He allows someone else to walk away from you, you have to let them walk away. There are some people you have to let go of before you go to the next level. If you ever look around and feel like you're stuck in the same place and overwhelmed by confusion and unproductivity, evaluate those around you and see if there were some people you were suppose to say Good-bye to. It's not an easy thing to do but I know God will honor those who are willing to sacrifice relationships with people in order to gain more of Him.

It will also show you your selflessness or lack thereof. How much are you really willing to give up for the sake of God? I'm reminded of the story of Abraham and God telling him to sacrifice his son Isaac. God promised Abraham that through Isaac, He would "establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him." (Genesis 17:19) Although Abraham knew the promises pertaining to his son and what God was going to do through him, he was willing to obey God even to the point of sacrificing Isaac. He knew God was not a liar and His promise would still come to pass so he believed that God would raise Isaac from the dead. Talk about TRUST. But before he could go through with the sacrifice, an angel of the Lord appeared and stopped him. He had passed God's test.

After thinking about this story in the Bible I questioned myself, "How much do I really trust God?" I had to remind myself that I know the promises. I've seen the promises. I've heard the promises. And I believe in the promises of God so I must trust Him and the things that He requires of me to do. And that includes walking away from people or allowing them to walk away from me. Any friendship or relationship with any person can be resurrected after they've been sacrificed for the sake of God, if they're in God's will. Holding on to people who are 1.) No good for us, 2.) Not in God's will for our lives or 3.) Out of God's timing is SELFISHNESS.

Continuing to fail the test over and over again gets you nowhere. It's not easy but I truly believe God wants to see how much you REALLY trust Him. I've been tested recently and it didn't sit well with me for a while but I had to be obedient and do what I felt was best and pleasing to God. And I do believe that God will honor that in the future. I don't want to be distracted or pulled away from God so if that means I must sacrifice some relationships with people for a season then I will. If God intends anything to come about from them, in due season it will. But if He says walk away for a few weeks, months, years, so be it.

The right people in the wrong season are the wrong people. And I think when you're around the wrong people, confusion seeps in and turns things upside down. I've experienced that, when everything seems to be flowing, growing in God, focused, etc. Then in walks someone who you accept in your life selfishly and the next thing you know, you're lacking progression, confused, unfocused and distracted. I've been there, done that but never again. A false sacrifice is something that won't cost you anything. But when you can release the people in your life to God and obey the things He's asked of you, that is a place of ideal maturity.

I always tell Candice, "if someone is suppose to be in your life they will be."  So a few questions to ponder. How much do you really trust Him? What relationships are you willing to give up to gain more of Him? Are you failing any of God's tests? Are you in the will of God? Do you believe that the promises of God will be fulfilled regardless of what you must give up?

Whatever it takes, be obedient. God will bless you for it. I truly believe that! Those who God have allowed to walk away or those God have instructed you to walk away from, have no choice but to return if God has a plan involving them. Maybe not this season or even the next but God can only trust you with what you're willing to lay at His feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...