Monday, October 31, 2011

Maturity Sneaks Up On Ya!

It's so great when you can actually SEE and FEEL yourself growing from the inside out.  Immature activities you once used to take part in seem so petty and childish now. You wonder why you were that way in the first place, but that phase was needed so that you could grow into the YOU displayed now.

This afternoon, I had the opportunity to go to the Wood Grill in Charlottesville, VA to celebrate my grandparents' bdays. All of my mom's siblings and spouses were there, as well as my dad's sister and one of my cousins. The food was buffet-style (not really my preference), but I think it was a notch above Golden Corral.

There was SO much food available; I couldn't even visit all of the stations. This was one area I recognized growth. As I said a couple postings ago, I love food. I love to eat. I don't think I'm a gluttonous person; I just like to eat food until I'm full. :) But after my first plate today, I was about ready to call it quits. Maybe get a dessert later or something. When I was younger, I didn't care how stuffed I was! This was a BUFFET, and that meant I had to eat until I literally couldn't eat anymore. I made it a point to visit EVERY food station and go up numerous times for seconds, thirds, fourths, a salad, and something sweet. But, not today! Just about 1 1/2 plates of food (including lots of seasoned veggies) and some cheesecake topped with ice cream and sprinkles. YUM! I wasn't miserable from overdoing it like I would be in the past. Thank God for maturity! It might sound silly, but some people have major problems with gluttony. A buffet or the Thanksgiving table is not the place to be if you do...jussayin! :)

Then, it was the conversation at the table. My grandma will probably never read this, but she's a GOSSIP QUEEN! lol...so a little of that was going on. Not much, but I knew the topic of my younger cousin was gonna come up sooner or later.

I have this cousin. I guess she's slowly dug herself into a hole of being labeled the "black sheep" of the family. She's a year younger than me with 1-year-old twin boys, living off the government with her boyfriend. Neither one of them have jobs. Sad situation. I remember when she had big dreams of going out of state to be a dance choreographer. She loved to dance. Now, who knows...?

Basically, at every family function, my uncle (her dad) or my grandma dish out the latest dirt on her. My other cousins and myself are then praised that we don't have kids yet, that at least we're doing something with our lives, that we're just better off than her. I think when I found out she was pregnant, I was eager to get in on the latest gossip. But now, all I wanna do is pray for her.

[REwind] Pray for her? Huh? Me? But laughing about someone else's situation makes me feel better about my own situation. I get a high knowing that their bad news is my comedic relief and entertainment.

Not anymore. Maturity kicks in once again. I had to say a silent prayer in my head, as I listened to my uncle call her stupid and vow not to give her anymore money. It was just sad to hear family talk down about her and joke about everything. She's still a daughter, niece, granddaughter, cousin, mother--family! If family doesn't build you up and encourage you, who will?? Of course, she's made mistakes. Who hasn't? Maybe I have a problem  or something...I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I believe someone can change.

I mean, "One day in His courts did forever change my course."

SIDENOTE#1: These stories were not to demean people with gluttony issues or my cousin. Just for the purpose of sharing the findings of my day and realizing that I'm maturing! :)

SIDENOTE#2: I cleaned my entire bathroom Saturday!! Shout it from the rooftops and proclaim that Candice isn't a slob anymore! Hahaha...I still have other areas to work on, but cleaning all the nooks and crannies (minus the clutter in the drawers) helped me breathe easier and I felt accomplished. Just thought you'd like to know that I'm maturing and getting my housewife status on! Sikeeee! =D


 

1 comment:

  1. Nice piece girl. I use to do the same because I LOVE food but I quickly learned portion control lol && it's great how you prayed for your cousin. Some of my fam does that, because I'm one of the only girls w/o kids but you're right instead of gossip, encouragement is the way to go. Very mature of you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...