Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Gardening 2012

In case you didn't know, I'm very old school. I love all that classic soul music that came out wayyyy before my time (i.e. Earth Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, Diana Ross, ETC.) as well as the 90's music. I don't know why I like what I like, but I do. That's not what I wanted to talk about though. Don't get me started on all that old school stuff; I spent an entire semester in my Public Speaking class going on and on about it. Good stuff! 

My grandma says I have an old soul. I'm very different from my generation. My new spring/summer hobby that I acquired last year is GARDENING! I'm not a professional with an exquisite green thumb. I just like the simplicity of putting a seed in the ground, watering it, and watching it produce and maximize into actual food that you can eat! It's amazing to me.

I've heard a lot of talk this year from people starting gardens. My uncle and older cousin have each started gardens this year as well. So, there's 3 gardens within walking distance on my street. We gon' be eatin' good this summer! Cookouts/fish frys and family = priceless moments.

Here's a tip: If you're planting vegetables, plant stuff that you actually eat on a regular basis.

Sounds simple enough, right? But I thought it'd be cool to plant squash last year, even though I'd never eaten squash a day in my life. So there's a bag of squash that's just been chillin' in the freezer for a year, because I don't know what to do with it. I'm not sure if it's still edible or not. I should probably check on that.

This year, if nothing else but collard greens comes out the ground, I will be HAPPY! That is my favorite vegetable hands down; I could literally eat that everyday. My dad and I also put down cucumbers, corn, green peppers, and tomatoes.



If you have the space in your yard, give it a try. Whether you're interested in fruits, veggies, flowers, or plants, there's something for everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...