Don't you just hate pimples? Especially those that find comfort on your chin or the side of your nose? Those are so annoying, and they hurt.
But don't you just love 'em tho? lol...If you're anything like me, you get a kick out of popping one of those suckers. And don't get me started on the ones that hit the mirror with such force! Awww shucks! lol
I realize I sound completely gross right now. But we've all done it sometime or another. Did you know there's actually YouTube videos out there of people popping their zits and pimples? Yea...that's just nasty. Who really wants to see that?
Needless to say, I woke up with this killer hidden pimple on my chin. And after many attempts and adjusting my fingers, it made that popping sound and splashed against the mirror. I couldn't stop thinking how fun that was...I literally was thinking about it 2 hrs later. Call me weird; I know I am. lol
Then, I just kept thinking of how far I've come. Ever since I hit puberty until about 2 or 3 years ago, I was literally in bondage to the WORST habit ever. I used to pick my skin ALL THE TIME. And I couldn't stop. I would just pick bumps until they bled (yea, nasty). Make-up was my friend. It got to the point where I couldn't go anywhere without wearing foundation. I was just so ugly, and it was all because of my self-inflicted picking habit.
Only a few folks knew about what I was going through. Every time a new red mark resurfaced on my face, my parents would inform me that I needed to quit picking my skin. It just wasn't that easy. I've never smoked, but I imagine that's what it's like when someone tells you to stop smoking. A habit of that magnitude is hard to break cold turkey. It's like I couldn't control my fingers or something. I would clip my nails, try to eliminate the time I spent in front of a mirror, use acne medications, etc. Nothing seemed to work. If my face did show signs of clearing up, I'd always sabotage by picking away again. This in turn shot my self-esteem and confidence low to the ground, and I became a very self-conscious person.
Not exactly sure of why I'm up at nearly 5am telling you all this. Clearly, it's not the most glamorous story. lol...it's quite embarrassing actually, but that was my life. How I finally quit? It was only by the grace of God. I definitely had NOTHING to do with being loosed from that bondage. And indeed, it was serious bondage. I wanted to stop sooooo bad, but I literally couldn't do it (on my own at least).
God is just awesome though. He can change your habits and turn your desires into ones that will make Him happy. Nothing is too hard for Him. He cares about the things we care about, even to the most minute detail. We ourselves can't set ourselves FREE from bondage in our lives. We need the man upstairs to intervene, so we essentially bring glory to His name.
Perfect song for the occasion.....
Candice, I love your heart, I love your honesty. You are a beautiful person. Your smile radiates such joy.
ReplyDeleteAs for this habit you just mentioned...I confess to it to. Just wait until you have children!!!
Wow I didn't know it was really that much of a habit, addiction. Proves that we never know the extent of people's bad habits and how much it affects them on a daily basis. Praise God for freedom!
ReplyDeleteAwww Reagan, that's so sweet! I truly appreciate that!
ReplyDelete@chels, yea it was an extreme addiction...like everyday! To this day, I doubt my parents even know the extent of it. Yes, thank God for freedom!