Wednesday, December 7, 2011

LOVE People

Whew! Haven't seen you all in a while! Looks like Candice has been holding the site down in my absence. So for those of you who don't know, I now attend Liberty University which is a Christian university. I transferred from VCU this past January. And all I can say is I'm learning so much!!! Not just academically but spiritually. I'm currently taking a discipleship counseling class and an evangelism class (amongst a few others) and my textbooks are literally books that I would probably read on my own, so I'm enjoying it.

One thing I'm learning everyday is the importance of LOVE.

Now we all know we're suppose to love each other right? If not, now you know! But I'm beginning to understand it more and more. The discipleship counseling class is teaching me a healthy balance. I've always been the "counselor." People have always been comfortable venting to me or asking my advice and I think it's because I'm a good listener. Through that class I've learned the importance of pouring into others only when I've been poured into.

I say that because I haven't always done that. I wrote a poem not too long ago and part of the poem said, "Who will counsel the counselor and encourage the encourager?" Anyone who serves others in those areas have probably had the feeling at some point where everyone expects you to have the answers and neglect to realize you may have your OWN questions. But that's what I'm learning...

EVERYTHING GOES BACK TO GOD AND HIS LOVE.

I can't help others if I don't allow the love of God to fill me up so I can pour out on them. Both my evangelism and counseling courses have taught me that. One of my friends is a songwriter and in one of his songs he says "How can I feed the multitude but in the meantime I'm starving ME." Or something along those lines.

Balance is important! And making sure I don't allow anyone to make me their god is even more important. Anything I do ministry wise, whether counseling, evangelism, or just simple encouragement should in the end, direct them back to God. Counselors automatically want to help people solve their issues but wisdom is making sure you love the person enough to not BLOCK God's love from them.

There's only one Saviour and there's only so much one person can do. I've learned that planting a seed in someone whose lost or someone whose broken may be all that God requires of me to do so that then He can introduce His love. I knew these things, but certain times I've gotten wrapped up in the moment and poured out more and more and more. When God was saying "Ok! Let me do MY job now." You must love people enough to get out of the way of the holy spirit.

It all goes back to His love for us and the desire He has for us to want Him. He's desperate for us and no one should take His place. Understanding His love is what will draw us to Him. It's what will provoke us to love and encourage others. It's what transforms us from who we are into who we're called to be. His love is what causes us to want others to know it. And I'm honored that God wants to introduce others to His love through me, as long as I know how to get out of the way when He does.

Excited to learn more!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on transferring to LU. I went there when I was a freshman, but decided to transfer closer to home. Best of luck to you, while you're there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...