Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shorts are not for winter people!

One thing I've talked alot about lately is friendships or lack thereof and I've realized something. I always talk about wanting friends that are consistent. I always had an issue with inconsistency. I looked up consistent and found this definition: Able to maintain a particular standard or repeat a particular task with minimal variation.

If this is true then consistency means never changing; always remaining the same. But as a Christian, I should always be progressing. So can I really expect my relationships with people to be "consistent"???

God gave me a different view of friendships. He caused me to relate friends to clothes. It seemed kind of juvenile and at first I didn't understand the significance and yearned for a deeper explanation. And I finally received it. Friends are like clothes in the way that some are only "worn" at certain times. Clothes are there to grace you from the temperment of whatever season you are in. But as the seasons grow colder or warmer, your surroundings change and something other than what you're currently "wearing" is needed. They may have gotten you through the summer but now they can't offer the same "covering" in the winter.

And I started to relate that to my current life. I looked at friendships that I've tried to hold on to. When people have made such a huge impact in your life, it's natural to want to continue to rely on them. But when the season is up and you're in a new season, their job has been accomplished and it's time to move on.

Have you ever tried to wear those shorts or sandals just a few weeks longer after summer. Or those boots or that sweater a little after winter. It may be your favorite outfit or whatever the reason but wearing it longer then what is advised will cause you to be uncomfortable. And that's because your "clothes" no longer FIT your surroundings. It's time to pack em up. You may come across them again or you may just have to get a whole new wardrobe but the seasons have changed.

Now of course there are some exceptions. Some friends do adapt to your season and that's usually when they're in that season as well. But the majority of your life will be a revolving door and you have to accept that. God wants to get you where He needs you and will use as many people as possible to get you there.
Seriously the friends I use to count on my hands, feet, and more, I can only count on one hand. I believe that's an indication that I'm being elevated to the next season. The last season was nowhere near easy but I pray God has seen me as faithful.

A buddy of mine called me on Sunday. He's an amazing poet and he saw a video of me doing poetry from last weekend. He called to encourage me and one thing he said that stuck with me was that God had hidden me for a season so that He could work somethings in me. And it started to make sense. When friends were dropping off and text messages and calls weren't coming in like usual. When I felt like I was always the one reaching out to people and never the opposite, God was removing people to work IN me. And the ones who understood my shift and distance are still around. The ones who got offended, well....can't be mad about it. God's will is God's will!

So yea, friends are not meant to be "consistent" per say. Some will walk in your life and then out. Some will stay around for a few seasons. Some will be there for a lifetime and those are usually the ones who support your distance, changes, etc and realize it's a move of God and not a personal blow. So what it all comes down to is do they help you with the current temperature you're currently in or is it time for a new season. I'm now embracing the winter with my scarf aka Candice Victoria hahaha & a few other garments I won't name. :-)

(If you get a chance, read Ecclesiastes 3:1-22)

3 comments:

  1. A scarf though? lol and TMI after that hahaha....nice piece Reverent Charity!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Candice, by "garments" I was referring to other friends..get your mind out of the gutter! lmbo Thanks Simone! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...