So I felt led to share the testimony of how I made it to Mt. Gilead, the best church in thee world! But before I get into it, I’ll say this:
This testimony truly shows God’s way of strategically mapping out our lives. Sometimes we feel like we’ve made the wrong decision or been disobedient by not making ANY. But God’s grace and mercy will always get us back on track. I love God!
So I graduated high school in 2006. Can’t believe it’s almost been SIX years! (smh) But when I was eighteen to about twenty years old, those were those YEARS for me. I guess I can even bump it up to the beginning of being twenty one too. But by “those years” I mean the time when I was doing ALL THE WRONG THINGS. Candice and I talked about this yesterday and we called “those years” the years of sin lol I’ve always been in church. I grew up with Christian morals, values etc but I felt like I hadn’t experienced what everybody else was doing. Of course now I see that God had been protecting me from the temptations of the world. Some people get attacked by the world meaning unfortunate circumstances push them into the world and they get wrapped up and consumed by it. Me on the other hand, I was a pretty sheltered person, no huge worries, etc. but when I turned eighteen, I thought I was grown and jumped on the bandwagon (didn’t take long before I jumped off but it was mostly my own decision.) I knew better!
Now I will say, I wasn’t out doing anything extra crazy or anything but things that were still out of my character. Things that weren’t pleasing to God or the way I’d been raised but I thank God everyday for His grace and mercy that only allowed me to take a couple steps on a path that “quick sands” so many people. It didn’t take Him long to reel me back in. I can imagine God now, “Really Chelsea? I’ve protected you all this time from all these temptations for 18 years and this is how you act? Get yo behind in the house!” lol I can laugh now but God truly showed me favor and protection.
So I met a guy when I was eighteen years old that was a member of Mt. Gilead. I had never heard of that church. I didn’t really know anything at all about the Midlothian/Chesterfield area and rarely ever went that way for anything. I remember looking up the website and going through all the pages. And seeing the picture at the very top of the website, I remember thinking, “Ok that church is WAY too big. I’ll pass.” I didn’t really think much of it after that. I was so use to my home church where I knew everybody. My family was all there. It was “comfortable.” Even after my mom became a minister at a different church, I still stayed where I was. Most times going back and forth to support both ministries.
So during my first year of college, I got my very first job at the MCV Medical Center Bookstore in downtown Richmond. I worked there a few times a week for a few hours. Working was definitely new to me. I laugh when I think about the fact I had never worked until I was almost 19 smh Anyway, one day two women came into the store. They had two Krispy Kreme donut boxes. One of my managers went and put them in the break room. On my break she told me to feel free to get a donut. (Can’t say no to Krispy Kreme!) So I went in and opened up the box. On the top of the box was a sticker that said “Mt. Gilead Full Gospel International Ministries.” I was like “Oh you go there? I know so and so. He goes there too.” Come to find out two of my managers at that store went there. In my mind, “Well that’s nice. Moving along.” Smh
I was actually working there for about a year and a half. Not once visiting the church or anything. They would talk about the services and events there but as I said, I was in my “those years” season. I barely was going to my own church as much as I should, let alone visiting a new one.
So after that year and a half was up, I got another job at a clothing store all the way in Mechanicsville Va. I had a very close relationship with my co workers and my store manager. They were the best! One day my store manager was talking to me and a coworker. She told us we should visit her church. So I asked what church do you go to?? Her reply, Drum Roll….
MT. GILEAD!!!!
Um, so in my mind I thought two things, either this church is so huge that everybody from Midlothian to downtown Richmond to Mechanicsville went there OR there was something there for me.
So I finally agreed to visit. My co worker, her cousin, and I all went to a Wednesday night service together. And I already knew, that’s where I was supposed to be. It took me a few months to join but thankfully I had already rededicated my life to God. And I realized that my “curious season” was blocked, interrupted, and ended by God’s intervention.
I honestly don’t even know that person from 18 to 20. It was such a random season of bad decisions and mistakes. I wouldn’t take them back though. They’ll always remind me of what happens when you turn your back on God. Never again. God and I created a bond like I had never experienced once I realized what He’d save me from. “Where would I be if not for your grace? Carrying me through every season. Where would I be if not for your grace. You came to my rescue and I want to thank you for your GRACE.” That’s one of my favs. Big ups to Ty Francis for introducing me to that song! (Speaking of Ty, I met Ty the beginning of 2009, I joined Mt. Gilead offically in August of 2009. God used Ty as the final push to get me back in line! The end of the lukewarm season. Talk about ordering of steps and the crossings of paths!)
So I hope this testimony encourages anyone that feels like they made a wrong turn. God sent five people to get me to where I was supposed to go! And I think about the last two years since I joined Mt. Gilead and how much I’ve changed and how God reeled me back in so quickly. He’s truly faithful! God thought enough of me to give me consistent clear direction even when I wasn't listening. God will do the same for you! We all make mistakes but even through my own disobedience God still found a way to get me there. I don’t even like to think about how different my life would be right now. What you are around is what you will become. Guess God knew where to send me for training. Praise God! Just know your steps are ordered. Wrong turns don’t cancel the trip, they just delay it. God will always provide a detour. THANK YOU GOD!
No comments:
Post a Comment