Friday, April 27, 2012

Taking Care of Self

How do you think you'll look when you're 80 years old? What about 90? Haven't thought that far ahead? Don't think you'll live to see those seriously glorious "wisdom years"?

Most of us like to think we're young and ageless in our own right. If you're a high school graduate, it seems like you just graduated last year...no matter how old you are. Time just flies, and let's just face it...we're aging. As eye-rolling as that term sounds, we have the choice to age gracefully. NOW is the time to start taking care of self. From what we eat, to exercising a few times per week, to proper hygiene, to surrounding yourself around love, laughter, and positivity....our active outlook on these areas (while we're young) determines how well we age.

* Note: Age is just a number. You can be 40+ years old and have the same (or more) exuberance and zeal for life than someone half your age. You decide.

Last night, I decided that I was gonna start doing three vital things every night for the rest of my life. Brushing my teeth, flossing, and washing my face. Don't give me that look...lol. I'm just too lazy to do it, man. Don't get me wrong...I DO BRUSH MY TEETH! AND WASH MY FACE! EVERY DAY! Floss? Not so much. Who has time for that? lol (me..now). I brush my teeth every morning, and anytime I'm at home and I smell an oncoming stench. It's only once in a bluish neon pink-striped moon that I do those things at night.

My mom used to tell me to always wash my make-up off at night because of the impurities, dirt, and stuff that collect during the night while asleep. I just figured, I'm gonna wash my face in the morning anyway. Why bother? But I've read articles over the years how we are aging our skin/bodies by the little things we do and/or don't do.

I used to want to be an orthodontist. I really don't know what intrigued me to that career field, since teeth aren't even that fascinating to me. I was never a flosser. Only if I needed to remove a random popcorn kernel or some other annoying piece of food. Recently, the gums around one particular tooth kept bleeding every time I brushed my teeth. Bleeding isn't always a bad thing, but then it just started looking dark around that tooth. I began to taste blood in my mouth at times. That prompted me to schedule a dentist appointment. I was prepared to hear the news that maybe I had a cavity, and I definitely believed it since I was buying pretzel M&M's like crazy! I'd never had one before, so I didn't know how that whole ordeal went.

I didn't have any cavities after all, but bacteria and food were actually the causes of my issue. My dentist informed me that flossing is indeed practiced so that bacteria and food don't have a chance to build up. He showed me how to floss properly for the umpteenth time, and my gums bled like crazy. My mouth was so sensitive for the rest of the day. I was told to floss daily, and right before bed is a trusty preference. That appointment was about a month or so ago. I decided to be obedient last night. =)

Loving God will also definitely keep you young. His joy will continually give you strength each day to keep pushing forward. His goodness will keep you smiling. His consistency when all else goes haywire will delight you. By spending time with Him on a regular basis and reading His love letter to you (Bible), you will receive fresh priceless jewels of wisdom.

Bottom line...take care of yourself now so you don't look older than dirt later. i..e..) ----------------------------------------------------> lol






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...